We are currently experiencing issues with our search by zip/postal code functionality. 

If you encounter an issue please utilize the State/Province search functionality to narrow down your search.

Schneider owner operator FAQs



Q. How do you calculate compensation for services my business renders? Is it by the mile or percentage of load?

A. Schneider offers a Choice Lease in its Van Truckload and Tanker division and a few mileage-based lease opportunities for Port Dray owner-operators. With the Choice Lease, you will receive a percentage of line-haul revenue on the loads of your choice and 100% of fuel surcharge and accessorial. For mileage-based lease options, the rate per mile and number of miles will depend on the type of freight you haul. Explore each opportunity to learn more about how revenue is calculated.

Q. How do Schneider owner-operators and fleet owners on the Choice Lease choose their own loads?

A. Schneider has revolutionized the trucking industry by enabling owner-operators and fleet owners to pick their own freight from our industry-leading freight base — from a desktop, laptop, tablet or our Accelerate mobile app.

Q. How often will my business be compensated for services?

A. Owner-operators and fleet owners receive weekly settlements, on all bills received in Green Bay by midnight (CST) on Saturday of the previous week.

Q. How do I grow my business from one truck to becoming a fleet owner?

A. The best way to grow your business and become a fleet owner is to call our fleet owner hotline at 844-435-3387 (844-4-FLEETS). We will discuss the next steps your business can take relative to your individual situation.

Q. Is there an age requirement on my tractor?

A. Many of the requirements depend on the type of account you want to drive. For example, if you want to run Van Truckload, your tractor’s engine ages need to be 2000 or newer. Tanker accounts allow a tractor to be 2010 model or newer and Port Dray leases allow a tractor to be 2000 or newer. There is one exception to this rule for Port Dray leases. To be California CARB complaint, your tractor must be 2010 or newer. Also, all tractors need to pass DOT inspection by certified mechanics.

Q. Is PrePass available?

A. PrePass is available for $15/month.

Q. Do you require uniforms?

A. No, uniforms are not required, however, we ask owner-operators and fleet owners to remember that they are professional business owners and should look neat and clean to interact with Schneider’s customers.

Q. Can I get fuel at Schneider locations?

A. Yes, owner-operators and fleet owners leased to Schneider, using the EFS fuel card, can purchase fuel at any of the terminal fuel operating centers, Pilot, Flying J, Loves, TA and Petro. These networks offer a discounted rate, and Schneider's facilities are competitive with the best available truck stop discounts.

Q. Who pays the fuel tax?

A. We track and report your fuel usage tax, but you are responsible for paying it.

Q. Will you cover my base plates and permits?

A. We offer discounts on base plates and permits at a discounted rate of $33/week.

Q. Do I have to drive into Canada or New York City?

A. No. There are no Canadian or NYC routes — unless you choose to drive in New York City through the Choice Lease.

Q. How much will the mobile communication platform cost me?

A. There is no cost for satellite installation or business usage.

Q. Is insurance available through Schneider?

A. We require all owner-operators and fleet owners to carry occupational accident insurance as well as unladen/non-trucking bobtail insurance. Both can be purchased through True North, one of Schneider’s vendors if desired. Physical damage insurance is also available.

Q. Can I get discounts on business expenses like tires and glass?

A. Through the Schneider Purchase Power Program®, owner-operators and and fleet owners can take advantage of group discounts and reduced rates on things like fuel, maintenance, tires, new and used tractors, group insurance and business support services.